Lenten and Easter Season
Lent is a time to prepare for our journey with Christ to the cross. It is a good time for self reflection and to give up those things that get in the way of our relationship with God. It’s an even better time to enter into spiritual disciplines that allow us to build our spiritual bodies and the whole body of Christ.
Feb. 14 at 6:30 p.m. - Ash Wednesday – Lenten Communion Service – Knox Hall
Feb. 18 First Sunday in Lent
Feb. 27 at Noon – Community Lenten Service – Central United Church of Christ – First Presbyterian Week to host
Feb. 28 at 6:30 p.m. – Lenten Communion Service – Knox Hall
Mar. 4 Third Week of Lent
Mar. 6 at Noon – Community Lenten Service – Central United Church of Christ
Mar. 7 at 6:30 p.m. – Lenten Communion Service – Knox Hall
Mar. 11 Fourth Week of Lent (Daylight Savings Time Begins)
Mar. 13 at Noon – Community Lenten Service – Central United Church of Christ
Mar. 14 at Noon – Lenten Communion Service – Knox Hall
Mar. 18 Fifth Week of Lent
Mar. 20 at Noon – Community Lenten Service – Central United Church of Christ
Mar. 21 at 6:30 p.m. – Lenten Communion Service – Knox Hall
Mar. 25 Palm Sunday
Mar. 26-30 Preschool & KPlus Spring Break
Mar. 27 at Noon - Community Lenten Service - Central United Church of Christ
Mar. 29 at 7 p.m. Maundy Thursday Tenebrae Service
Mar. 30 at 6 p.m. Good Friday Service
Mar. 31 from 9 a.m. - noon Prayer Vigil in the Sanctuary
Apr. 1 Easter Sunday
6:45 a.m. – Easter Sunrise Service – Governor's Garden
7:30 a.m. – Easter Breakfast – Knox Hall
8:30 a.m. – Easter Worship Service
10:45 a.m. – Easter Worship Service
5 p.m. – Sunday Night Live @5 Easter Service
Apr. 3 at 11 a.m. – Preschool Easter Pageant – Sanctuary
Wednesday Weekly Communion Services
The Lenten season begins a special time at First Presbyterian Church. Beginning on Ash Wednesday, we gather every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. for a Lenten Communion Service in Knox Hall. It's a short, meaningful service that ends in a communion of small groups gathered around the prepared table. All are invited to these inspirational services.
Community Lenten Worship Services
We participate in the Community Lenten Services that take place on Tuesdays at noon (Feb. 20 - March 27). Each year the services are held at a different downtown church and the participating churches share in leading the ecumenical worship followed by a lunch fellowship. This year, the services will be held at Central United Church of Christ, 118 West Ashley Street.
Lenten Book Study
Each Lent we begin a series of small group book studies of current or classic Christian writing. Multiple study groups are held weekly so everyone can participate.
2018 Lenten Study Groups will begin meeting on Sunday, Feb. 18. These groups will study the book
“Embracing the Uncertain” by Magrey R. deVega. You are invited to join one of the groups listed below and make this study a part of your Lenten discipline:
- Sundays (Feb. 18, 25, Mar. 4, 11, 18, 25) at 3:30 pm in the Church Parlor facilitated by Pastor Dave.
- Mondays (Feb. 19, 26, Mar. 5, 12, 19, 26) at 7:00 pm at the home of Jim & Marilyn Hofmann facilitated by Sharon Keating.
- Tuesdays (Feb. Feb. 20, 27, Mar. 6. 13. 20. 27) at 9:30 am in the McAfee Room facilitated by Pastor Zac Wolfe.
- Tuesdays (Feb. 20, 27, Mar. 6. 13. 20. 27) at 10:30 am in the Chapel at Primrose facilitated by Sharon Keating and Pastor Dave
Friday Morning Prayer Time
Each Friday morning during Lent – from 7-7:45 a.m. – Pastor Dave will be in the Church Parlor to lead those who choose to come in a time of devotion and prayer. Our focus during these times of prayer will be the “Mountains of God” as we “climb” Mt. Diablo, Mount Tabor, Mount HorebSinai, (descend into) Gilgal Valley, through the Mount of Olives to Mt. Calvary on Good Friday. See Pastor Dave for more information.
Members of our congregation share their heartfelt stories of faith in a Church Devotion Guide for each day of Lent.
Children's Prayer Book for Lent
There is a suggested prayer for each day of Lent for the children to say and to think about. The prayers are from their friends in Preschool, K-Plus and our church children, as well as teachers and helpers who work with them. They also have a suggested topic to think about each week as they consider putting money in their fish mite box.
One Great Hour of Sharing Lenten Offering
Fish are given to children and families with reminders to “feed the fish” with money to help others in the world. The OGHS offering supports the Presbyterian Hunger Program, the Presbyterian Disaster Program, and the Self-Development of People Program.
Holy Week is a wonderful time of worship and remembrance of Christ’s journey at First Presbyterian.
- On Palm Sunday (March 25), we share in the procession of palms with the choir and children of the church at each service.
- On Maundy Thursday (March 29 at 7 p.m.), a special service is held including holy communion and a "Tenebrae Service of Shadow".
- On Good Friday (March 30 at 6 p.m.) a vesper service focusing on the agony of Christ’s death will be held.
- On Saturday (March 31 from 9 a.m. to noon) we'll hold a Prayer Vigil in the Sanctuary. All are invited to stop by for a time of quiet contemplation.
- On Easter morning we celebrate the resurrection, first at a sunrise service at 6:45 a.m. in Governor's Garden followed by breakfast at the church at 7:30 a.m. and at each of the three regular services on Easter Sunday.